As usual, this picture was taken after Sensei fixed the arrangement up. It's amazing how much better she can make it look just by a few adjustments. Today she bent the willow branches (the long, thin ones) on the left inward, where I had originally had them at an outward angle, and it made a huge difference. I wasn't happy with it beforehand, but now I am :)And besides learning the Japanese names for various flowers, I'm learning the Japanese names for a lot of different foods in ikebana class. And I'm learning the best way possible: by eating!
Nashi means pear, but Japanese pears are different than American ones. They're not as soft; the texture is more like an apple.
Kuri means chesnut, and the ones we had today tasted sort of like a cross between a potato and some sort of starchy vegetable.
Kaki means persimmon, which didn't seem to have much of a taste to me, but it was still good.
So in conclusion, ikebana class is amazing, and I'm so glad I took up the other JET's invitation to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment