Today was also the first day I got to each lunch with the students! In Japan, students don't have the option of bringing lunch from home; they all eat the school-provided lunch. And it's healthy stuff too. Today we had fish, rice, miso soup (tofu and seaweed), this noodle thing mixed with mushrooms, and milk. Oh, and an umeboshi, which is this pickled fruit thing that is very, very sour. I think I amused all the students by my reaction too it (which was basically screwing up my face and saying "sour" in Japanese).
And since I only had classes in the morning, I got home by two o'clock. And did laundry. But that's not very exciting, so I won't blog about it ;)
Bonus Pictures: An eating contest at the festival I went to on Saturday in the neighboring town!

"In Japan, students don't have the option of bringing lunch from home; they all eat the school-provided lunch."
ReplyDeleteIn all Japanese schools? Because I'd always thought that mothers making bento for their kids was this big thing over there.
Hm. Maybe not? I just assumed my school was standard. I could be wrong. Or maybe it depends on whether it's elementary or junior high.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I shouldn't make factual-sounding sentences like that if I'm not sure. Lol.