Monday, January 23, 2012

Miyazaki

Happy New Year! I'm going to start 2012 off...by posting pictures from last year. So here are the photos from my trip to Miyazaki Prefecture that I promised I would post but never did.

This trip was my first real road trip in Japan. My friend drove, and it was a good thing he did, because the town of Takachiho is hard to get to without a car. It was also kind of hard to get to with a car, the journey involving twisty mountain roads, incredibly thick fog, and getting lost in what might have been an enchanted forest. On the way, we stopped at a small shrine.


I don't even remember what it was called, but it was built into a small cave and had old carvings.


We also saw this along the side of the side of the road, so of course we had to stop.


So...yeah, there was that.

But we did eventually make it to Takachiho, the main attraction of which is the Takachiho Gorge. This is just the beginning of it:

The gorge has a trail running alongside it, which you follow all the way to a waterfall.

As you can tell from the umbrellas, it was raining the day we went. But it was only a light sprinkle, and it gave the place a misty atmosphere that was pretty nice and mysterious.


And here was our first glimpse of the waterfall at the end:

As you can see, it was absolutely gorgeous, and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to see it. It reminded me of hiking in National Parks back in the States, and I would go again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. Hopefully, it would be lightly raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment