For Halloween, I thought it would be appropriate to post the pictures I took of the Vampire Cafe. I went with Jamie when I visited Tokyo last month, having wanted to check it out for a while, and I have to say it did not disappoint.

The restaurant is in Ginza, and when the elevator doors open on its floor, you immediately know you're in the right place, because it's all red and black. The waitresses and waiters all wear gothic maid and butler costumes, and the guy who waited our table had these awesome colored contact lenses in. They were playing the soundtrack to the Nightmare Before Christmas when we were there, and as you can probably tell from these pictures, the lighting is kept low. Atmosphere: this place has it.
Most of the tables are in booths separated by red or black curtains, but we were put at a table in the middle of the room. The better to enjoy the view!

And it was a glass table over what was either an authentic coffin or a
very good imitation. The waiter told us to be careful not to wake its occupant up.

It was September, and the place was already decked out in extra Halloween decorations. Although it was sometimes hard to tell what there just for Halloween and what's there year-round.

The menu has a map. The restaurant isn't that big, really, but the dark, red-draped hallways made it seem like it would be easy to get lost in.

And this is the drink menu. It's shaped like a coffin. :D


We both ordered drinks. I got a "bloody rose." It was quite good.

Jamie got a "white virgin." Also very good.

We ordered the set menu, wanting to try a bit everything. It was a month ago, so I don't remember every dish perfectly. I think the appetizer was crackers and a cheese dip? Note the witch drawn on the plate out of powdered spice.

This was the salad, plus a jack o' lantern chip:

Some excellent gnocchi. The chip on top of this one is supposed to be a ghost, though it's not as obvious as the jack o' lantern.

Frankenstein!

The meat dish was decorated with a werewolf. Very appropriate, I think.

And finally dessert, wearing adorable little tophats.

Next time I'm in Tokyo, I would love to go back to this place. The food was great, and the spooky atmosphere was a ton of fun. I can't recommend it enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment