Saturday, May 7, 2011

Korea Part 3: Jongmyo

Well, this post is incredibly late. :/ Sorry.

Jongmyo is a shrine dedicated to the deceased kings and queens of Korea. It is huge.


The only way to get in is through a guided tour. Unfortunately, by the time we arrived, the last English tour had ended. Fortunately, there was one more Japanese tour, so we joined that one. Here's our tour guide by a map of the shrine's grounds:

The grounds were beautiful, full of shady pine trees and separated from the bustling city by a high wall that runs all the way around the complex. This is nice, except when you show up on the opposite side from the entrance and have to walk all the way around like we did. Still, it was worth it to get inside.



All around the complex ran this little tiered stone path. The middle, highest path is for the dead kings, so you're not allowed to walk on it.

Which is cool, because it's not like I accidentally stepped on it or anything...

And I think that'll be it for my Korea series. I'm out of pictures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment