Thursday, February 18, 2010

Monkeys!

On the second day at Beppu we visited Takasakiyama Park--and the monkeys who live there! They're just roaming free, but they're used enough to people that it's okay as long as you don't bother them. Here's the first ones I saw:


Here's one with a nice view behind it:


Some on top of the bathroom:


This is main area of the park where a guy was giving a talk:


Monkey in a tree:


And it was a cold day up on the mountain. I assume these three were huddled together for warmth:


Overall I thought it was pretty cool that the monkeys weren't in cages but were running around everywhere. I think the staff feed them so they don't ruin local farms and stuff, but otherwise they seem to have free reign. I kept half-expecting one of them to lose it and attack someone, but they seemed pretty comfortable as long as we didn't get too close.

After the park, we went to an aquarium, but the lighting inside wasn't good for pictures. It was a fun place too, but I think the monkey park was definitely the best of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment